Risk Management Series: Part 6 - Improving Your Accident Investigation Program
Cost: Free to Members and Self-Insured Clients
Most companies do some level of Accident Investigation (AI) following an incident; some may be a formal, scripted process and others a more informal discussion and follow up by a supervisor or HR. Based on our experience in Loss Control, there are some improvements that can be made to almost all the AIs we review. In this program, we’ll walk through the basics of an Accident Investigation policy and delve into the procedures which, when implemented, will allow you to do the most effective investigations to help you attain the ultimate goal of preventing and reducing employee injuries and illnesses.
- Review/develop/refine your AI program
- Understand the AI basics - who, when, how, etc. the AI should be done
- Steps to conduct a thorough accident investigation - getting to the root cause and other contributing causes
- How to develop appropriate, effective corrective actions
- Make a plan for following up
- Provide forms and resources to further enhance or develop your program
HR, Safety Committee members, Managers/Supervisors, etc. who are tasked with conducting AI’s, and anyone who has a stake in decreasing your company’s losses.
Kathy Marek-Bissonnette, CSP, Senior Loss Control Consultant, Workers’ Compensation Trust